03 June 2007

her

The twins immediately dropped what they were doing the moment they spotted us approaching. As if he already knew beforehand the warmth extended to visitors at Weatherleah, Crumbs picked up and trotted towards the large trough of water and the bale of hay at the side of the house.

After a much needed hug from them, I introduced Guilbert and Reynald to Ariella, and they welcomed her as if she were a long lost friend who sought re-acquaintance. Smiles and laughter poured and then a bountiful picnic lunch was spread out near the farm on a meadow dappled with midday sun and shadows. The twins did an excellent job cleaning up the place after the ogre infestation, and they told me that we haven't been the only visitors since. Several friends, including Talasma, who runs the Oak and Crosier Inn, and the entertainingly vain writer Casta Scribonia, had come from Chorrol recently for some fresh vegetables.

That made me both happy for them and a little sad for myself. I sometimes wish that I had such a stable life, with perhaps a farm of my own or a little store that sold many of the curious items I acquired on my adventures. I realized that that's what I often think about when I sit for a few hours over a glass of Tamicka's vintage wine at Olav's in Bruma. Maybe one day when I decide I'm too old for these wanderings I'll open up a shop.

During our splendid picnic I noticed that most of the time Ariella didn't talk much, but preferred to listen to the twins. Reynald certainly took a shine to her, asking her questions about her travels, to which she politely replied but never probed into details about. And then I noticed that she would momentarily gaze off into the distance, tinged possibly with melancholy. Which seemed to make Reynald gaze at her more, breaking her distraction here and there by offering to pour her more wine.

It was, then, time to go . Though Guilbert generously offered us to stay the night (he always was worried about me wandering the forests in the dark, even though I always try to convince him I'm perfectly able to watch out for myself), I couldn't because I was in the middle of studying my spellmaking at the University and had an appointment with Polus in the morning. Ariella, unsurprisingly, announced that she must go on her way. Reynald's face dropped faster than a dead Goblin touched with paralysis, but he was just as quick to offer her a standing invitation back to the farm next time she comes around. Ariella was touched by this and, in gratitude of the twins' generosity, presented them with a beautiful Wylkend Stone that she had found in an Ayleid ruin high up in the Jerall Mountains. She promised she would return for another visit.

As we left Weatherleah, she turned to me and said, "b, I know that you must think me a mite distant and I'm sorry to be so. You've shown me the great possibilities that true friendship offers, which has been such an exotic thing I've been wanting most of my life. But it has also made me aware of how much I've been holding back. I need time to overcome this. I've seen many things, done many things. Things that most in Cyrodiil have nightmares about and wake up in cold sweat over. Things that only those such as you and I understand. But there is a thing that's far worse than those, and it's something deep inside me and I need to overcome it first. And when I finally do conquer it is when I will embrace this friendship that you so generously offered."

All I could do was nod and smile. I was now mortally frightened for her. I did not know exactly what she meant, but her eyes conveyed enough to me the sheer gravity of what she must face. Since it was still light out, I offered to teach her a spell to heal herself should she need it. Then I gave her a couple more potions. We hugged tightly and I told her that if she ever needed to rest from her travels she should go stay in Anvil, Chorrol, or Bruma, as I have a house in each. I also recommended she come visit me at the University and to consider joining the Mages Guild to augment her arsenal for her travels.

With all that, she gave me one last farewell and a promise that we will see each other again, and then she mounted Crumbs and I watched as she strode off into the forest and vanish from my view.

No comments: