21 May 2007

Madstone

Bruma was a perfect crisp morning when I left for my journey on Countess Cervain's request.

Countess Narina Cervain will have her coveted Draconian Madstone soon. The journey was very well worth the hardships I faced, but then again that's the reward for my explorations. This, I know, is what my adoptive mothers relished, blessings of the Nines upon their souls. Even to this day it still visits wonder unto me that these two incredible women even considered taking me in. Perhaps I was to be the daughter they would want to listen as captive audience of their magnificent tales of faraway regions they have experienced. I think they would be proud of me today.

It took me many days to find the ancient Akaviri fort, long since ruined by the unforgiving perpetual winter of the Jerall Mountains. I encountered more than my share of formidable ogres, brown bears and black bears, giving me cause to rest a bit to nurse my injuries from fighting them. I'm not upset over the encounters, it's good for my skills as a battlemage, and besides, the ogre teeth and pelts I accumulated can be sold at Novaroma back home.

Enroute to the fort I followed faithfully the clues revealed in the diary of a messenger from the original Akaviri army of Cyrodiil at the end of the first Era; the diary was supplied to me by Countess Cervain and was translated. As if the ogres and bears weren't enough, I had to deal with many skeleton warriors, evidently the long since dead soldiers of Commander Mishaxhi.

After getting through The Serpent's Trail, which is nothing more than a short cave route, I finally found the fort, fought my way through it, and then encountered the ghost of Commander Mishaxhi himself. It was so sad. He had been waiting for centuries, perhaps, unaware that he had died (along with his army, probably from starvation), and was so faithful to his duty that his spirit remained to guard the front long after his body had failed him. I pretended to be the messenger and handed him the note (which I found on the skeletal remains of the actual messenger; he died, possibly at the hands of an ogre or the claws of a bear, in the caves), and he thanked me. I didn't have the heart to declare that all I wanted was the Madstone at all costs and would have to kill him for it. He then turned and walked away through the otherwise the sealed door, which opened, revealing the Madstone.

I salute you, Commander Mishaxhi, for your courage, sense of duty, and strict vigilance. May your rest and that of your men be forever peaceful.

I myself should rest before getting back with the treasure to present to Countess Cervain. I'll celebrate the success of this quest by treating myself to a fancy new outfit at Divine Elegance in the Imperial City market and dinner and perhaps a night's stay at The King and Queen Inn over in the Elven Gardens district. How posh of me.

No comments: