21 May 2007

Home

My very own first house in the northern town of Bruma. It's quite cozy with a fireplace, and the bedroom is downstairs underground so to take advantage of the insulation. The Nords certainly knew a thing or two about building warm structures in this climate.


I'm so very happy! I recently and finally purchased my very own house.

After years of accumulating money from selling off the loot I amassed from my adventures I had enough for a modest home. I knew I didn't want to live in the Imperial City anymore, it's too crowded and either the residents are filthy rubes or unnecessarily snobby and I have too many complications in my life already on my adventures. When I come home I want peace and quiet while I reflect on my past quests or research new ones over a goblet of Tamika's wine (especially for my next main quest as it is from Bruma's Countess Narina Carvain herself, which should be interesting because I'm to find a strange artifact hidden somewhere in the mountains northeast of Bruma, where I've never been).

Until I found this cozy little home, I was bunking in with two roommates at the Mages Guild in Anvil. I loved it there and they were very friendly and the town is usually alive with sailors and merchants from the sea. I loved to sit with them at supper over at the inn and listen to their fantastic stories about terrifying sea creatures and sirens. What's interesting is that those stories they told me seemed to get more colourful in proportion to the amount of mead and wine they drank. At times I would even offer to buy them more to drink just to see how much more creative they become with their tales.

But my favourite thing to do was to visit the Anvil lighthouse, going all the way to the top, and taking in the breathtaking view of the Abecean Sea and the entire town of Anvil framed by the incredible landscape of pines and hills. Ulfgar, who is the middle aged man who runs the lighthouse, doesn't mind me going up there regularly, though he has never been one for conversation. I would sooner think he simply tolerates me as long as I don't steal anything...not that he has anything even remotely valuable to steal.

I searched all the other towns in Cyrodiil for a suitable house. I wasn't sure about the Benirus Manor in Anvil, which is the first one I considered. Velwyn Benirus seems awfully desperate to sell it, and at 5000 gold it does sound like a great bargain, and yet I'm suspicious. I might eventually take his offer if I can't find a good second home as I'll need more than one eventually. Besides, it seems to be the only property available there. But I just know something's weird about it and perhaps it may prove fruitful for me one way or another to see what Velwyn is being so skittish about that he would try to sell his grandfather's old estate for such a low price.

It will take me a while to adjust to living alone again, even though I love living in Bruma. I miss sharing that large room with Marc and and Thaurron, two resident Mages at the Guild. What I do not miss are Marc's loud snores which kept me awake sometimes, and Thaurron's annoying gregariousness. Still, at least they treated me far more respectfully than many people I've known through my life.

No comments: